Tuesday, July 27, 2010

a quilt top and a salad

Pink Patchwork - Top Done!

It's finished!  I sat down and worked on this for a few hours this morning and it's finished.  I love it.  There are a few wonky bits where the seams don't quite line up, but after ironing the seams to the sides it worked a lot better.  I came to the conclusion that my cutting was to blame mostly.  I cut all of those pieces in one night and clearly didn't pay much attention to how accurate it was.

The finished top is 65" by 45".  Not quite as big as I had hoped, but then I didn't do any actual calculations before sewing.  My question is, do I want to add a border?  I took a (terrible) picture of the quilt laid out on a big piece of off-white fabric and I wasn't sure how I felt about it.  Maybe in chocolate brown?  Or do I just leave it alone and let it be a bit smaller than I wanted.

And of course the other question: what do I back it with? I've got some Amy Butler Midwest Modern honeycomb in linen that could work, but it's perhaps a bit washed out.

Honeycomb in Linen

I've been thinking about another Amy Butler print - Lacework in Olive which is from the Lotus collection.  This fabric actually shows up in the quilt top which is why I think it would be great, plus the repeat is quite large.  Unfortunately, there are no squares left over from the top that I could piece into the back or I would.

 Lacework in Olive

What do you guys think?  Should I go with one of those or should I find a solid?

In other (random) news:  this was my delicious lunch.

Citrus Salad

A citrus salad - yum!  A homemade citrus vinaigrette dressing with sliced strawberries and oranges on top.  So light and delicious and perfect for summer.

1 comment:

Jen said...

The lacework in Olive would be awesome for the back! I think large scale prints look so neat for backs of quilts. You could even do a border around the front in that same print and then use a solid for the binding.
Good Luck, can't wait to see it!