Tuesday, July 27, 2010

the random object: voodoo fred

Whodoo Voodoo

Meet Fred.  He is a voodoo doll toothpick holder and I have never seen a more hilarious object.

Fred came a friend as a wedding present.  (He originally came with a really cool suspended picture frame which I broke almost immediately - oops!)  I think everyone has a story about getting a gift from someone who decided to go "off registry" (for whatever reason) and it was that weird serving tray or table cloth or obvious re-gift (really, if you're going to do it you should make sure to take the CARD out of the box top before passing it on, yikes!)  But every once in a while you get that amazing gift that is so original and so thoughtful it makes everything off the list you personally put together seem boring and a little pedestrian.

Fred is that gift.  He and a really cool set of handmade serving dishes from Portugal definitely sit at the top of the best gifts list.

Unfortunately, when I was taking the picture I didn't have any toothpicks to demonstrate his incredibly toothpick holding abilities, but I think you get the idea.  Favourite bits: his slightly tilted head and the hole between his eyes.

Oh and before anyone goes reading too much into his name (he shares it with my dad) I DID NOT NAME HIM!  It says it on his back.  :)

P.S. Thanks Rachel for the utterly original, fabulously thoughtful wedding gift!

No comments: