Friday, June 4, 2010

sexy hexies

I realize I never posted a follow up to my busy work post about my new love of hexagons!

As it turns out (and not at all to my surprise) hexagons are super fun!  They are small enough that they travel well in a purse or little bag, and with a little prep, you can sew them just about anywhere!

I took my little pack of hexagons to the Toyota dealership so I would have something productive to do while I waited for my car to be serviced.  (They offered a shuttle but I declined since there was nothing close enough for me to do while I waited.  When we bought the car, for some reason we purchased from the dealership on the other side of town instead of the one down the road and now we have to drive all the way by the airport to get service!  oops!)

Anyways, I had spent the night before cutting all my templates and little bits of fabric and pinning them to the templates so that I could just bring a pile that were ready to sew.

Have Hex Will Travel

After talking to a service rep, I got myself all settled into a comfy chair in the lounge and started sewing.  I must have looked like I was setting up camp.  I had a water bottle, snacks, all my sewing supplies and a book.  Apparently I was prepared for the long haul.

Even though the dealership is across town (a very LARGE "town" indeed) I really don't mind going there because of this:

Inspiration in an Unlikely Place

That's right.  Possibly the most beautiful carpet I have ever seen in my life.  It is the most beautiful colours and detailed scenes and it's endless inspiration.  Who knew you could find something so beautiful in a car dealership?

Back to the hexies.  After that first day I have about 18 done.  According to my calculations, 18 hexies over approximately 2.5 hours including a bathroom break and a coffee break works out to about one every 7.2 minutes.  Not too shabby for my first go round.

A Pile of Hexagons

I'm not sure what I will be making out of them, but I love them.

1 comment:

Vals Quilting said...

Hi Jessy, it was so fun tonight hanging out and getting to know you better...we'll have to plan a weekly sew day for the Single Girls Quilt!!
I love the hexies haven't gotten into them yet but truly something on my list of stuff I MUST do or MUST try:)
Keep in touch
Valerie
http://www.PastimeOnline.ca/Vals-Quilting/