Thursday, October 14, 2010

plain spoken II - finished!

I am happy to announce that the Plain Spoken quilt top has finally become a quilt!

Plain Spoken II

I am in love. I actually quite enjoyed making this the second time around. I posted previously about how reading the instructions really helps you get things right (duh!) and everything went so well with this one.

I used the same colours as the previous quilt top because I had so much fabric from that one left over. The backing is the same fabric as the other one as well, only it's in a pale grey which I think ended up working better than the brown. Less contrast.

Plain Spoken II

From a distance, the pattern almost fades away.

The thing that sets this quilt top apart from the other, and also makes it one of my favourites to date is the quilting. I tried something new and adventurous for this one. Straight line quilting! (okay, not so new...) I had done straight line quilting before, but sparsely and intersecting. With this quilt, I did organic (read: not always straight) lines approximately 1/4" apart, across the whole top. Oh man, do I love it! It adds so much texture and yumminess to it I couldn't stop touching.

Plain Spoken II

Plain Spoken II

As previously mentioned, this quilt is a present for my husband's cousin Tara and her (soon-to-be) husband Stephen. They are getting married in Ottawa on October 30, and unfortunately Joel and I aren't able to make it. It was such a bummer when we figured out we couldn't go, but we wanted to send them a special gift, so voila - Plain Spoken II.

Plain Spoken II

2 comments:

Jen said...

OH MY GOSH, JESSY!!!!!!!!!!! This is absolutely breathtaking!! The quilting on this quilt couldn't be more perfect! going with the straight line quilting for this quilt looks so fantastic! Not that I'm not a fan of solids for a quilt, I've just never made one. I guess because using just solids is very challenging for me. This is so perfect! I can't get over the quilting! What color thread did you use? Do you have a flickr page? If you do i want to add this quilt as one of my favorites. If you don;t have a flickr account, you need to make one and add this to the group "Fresh Modern Quilts". This would be a huge hit there!! I love this so much! YOU did a great job!!

Jen said...

ok, just noticed on your blog that you have flickr. duh, I guess I should have looked better before my comment! Anyway, you should add this to the flickr group "fresh modern quilts". Link your blog in the comments. This is gorgeous!