Saturday, May 22, 2010

a long list for the long weekend

Playa Pier.jpg

Where I wish I was this weekend.  Back in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, relaxing on the beach.  (Instead of working, like last time,)

My long weekend is actually more like 3.5 days.  I didn't work on Friday, and I have until Monday at 4pm off.  I still feel a bit odd sometimes when I look at my schedule posted on the fridge.  For years I worked in offices with straight 9-5 hours and weekends off.  My husband worked at the same place and his weeks ended up being more like 60 hours a week instead of 40.  We were both volunteering in several places and needless to say, we didn't see much of each other.

Now, he is a full time graduate student finishing his Masters in Counselling Psychology (and rocking it, might I add!) and I am working with wonderful families and adorable kids.  We have never had so much time together or so much flexibility in our schedules and I love it.  So not only am I not toiling away in front of a computer in a windowless room every day and having the creativity sucked from me, but now I feel more creative than ever AND have the time to actually do creative things!

As the title of this post implies, I have a long to-do list for this long weekend.

  • attend a friend`s wedding tonight
  • finishing writing my second post on hexagons
  • spend LOTS of time working on another overdue wedding quilt
  • write a post about said wedding quilt and how it`s trying to kill me
  • finish washing and folding piles of laundry
  • rescue garden and lawn from dandelions
  • clean entire house
  • wash sheets in BOTH guest rooms
  • sew more hexagons!
(Okay, fine, that last one isn`t really a must do.)  Unfortunately, not much of that list has anything to do with spending time outside, but that may be a good thing because in typical long weekend fashion it`s not exactly warm here in Calgary.  But at least it`s not snowing!!

Usually I would put off cleaning the house because there are just so many better things to be doing, but on Monday morning we have a man from a homestay agency coming to our house for an interview and assessment. We are hoping to become homestay hosts for some international students this summer and this is the first step.  The agency man will be talking to us and checking out our house to make sure we are fit for the program.

We have two rooms that are available to host students in and I`m not entirely happy with the look of either, but I don`t know if it`s work decorating them.  We have zero budget to buy anything so I would have to be making anything that would go in them.  Any ideasÉ  I was thinking another set of pennants, and maybe repurpose a picture frame from somewhere else in the house.  Hmm...I`ll have to do some quick thinking on that one.  Let me know if you have any cheap and fast ideas for decorating.

So, armed with a giant mug of tea, I will head out into my weekend (almost) fearlessly.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Good luck! Sounds like you have lots to do,but you seem organized an ready for all of it! That's good!

As for me...I'm prepping for packers & movers to arrive on Monday. One more week an then we'll be in sunny Southern California...