Monday, May 17, 2010

my first mini quilt

I recently joined the Swap Till You Drop (or STUD as it's known) group on Flickr. It's a monthly mini quilt swap with a different theme each month. This month's theme was "Wish You Were Here" and we were supposed to create a mini quilt that was representative of where we live. I took that literally and made a quilted map.

This was my inspiration:

tuscany google map

A GooleMap of my community, which by the way is a giant circle with a shopping area in the middle. I think it looks really neat on a map.

And here is the finished product:

STUD May '10 - Sent

I think it turned out pretty well! And major bonus, it only took a couple of hours. I'm not actually sure who long exactly, but I think it was about 3 hours of piecing and quilting and then another 40 minutes or so to bind and label.

Mini Quilt Swap Back.jpg

The backing is a piece of Heather Bailey fresh cut fabric. I believe that the flowers are roses (correct me if I am wrong) and so I chose it because the official provincial flower of Alberta is the wild rose. It even says it on our license plates! Alberta - Wild Rose Country.

Mini Quilt Label.jpg

Finally, the label is written in Sharpie (oops, I didn't have a fabric marker, and there was just too much writing to consider embroidering it). And I grabbed an iron on Canadian Flag patch from (gasp) the hated Fabricland. (Geez, for someone who hates it so much, I sure do get a lot of things from there.

I'm happy. I was inspired by these wonderful people who make the most gorgeous hand stitched map quilts.  one day I hope to do one similar to theirs, but for now I will settle for some machine stitching.


P.S. For those of you who are here via Sew Mama Sew's Giveaway Day list, check the previous post for my giveaway and to comment. If you like the blog, please consider following!

10 comments:

stashavalanche said...

Hi, found you via SMS, but just wanted to say that little quilt is lovely. I have been thinking of map quilts for a while now, but the thinking is as far as I've got! by the way, have you seen the lovely map fabric that Liberty of London are selling? I want some!

Dresden Quilter said...

What a great idea. It turned out beautifully.

Jen said...

wow! is that ever clever! What a neat mini quilt! I would have never thought of doing something like that! are all your lines and such machine stitched with different stitches and then the different fabric color machine embroidered? Great job!

Anne at Film and Thread said...

I love it! Would it be okay if I showed my quilting bee partners a picture of your quilt with a link to your blog? I am going to be requesting that they do map themed blocks for my month.

Jessy said...

Anne, of course! I would be honored. Thank you for your kind words.

Mommyof2girlz/StephD said...

This is so cool, what a great idea! This would be perfect gift for grandparents. Thanks for sharing!

Paper Tiger said...

What a great little quilt!

Poppyprint said...

This is fantastic!!! I've been thinking of quilting some topography maps, so I'll check out that link you included to see what those people are up to. Great job on your map quilt.

Bethany said...

OK, this is one of the coolest mini quilts I have ever seen! What a great idea!

Aunt Spicy said...

absolutely adorable! such a creative idea!